Saturday, July 08, 2006

Hyphenated Nationalities

A poll taker approached me today. She asked me if I can take a quick poll, 8 questions to answer, takes about 2 minutes.

"Why not, I can spare a couple of minutes. Go for it!" I said.

First question was, "What is the most important issue today that you think needs to be improved more? Taxes, Social Security, Health Care, or Education?" Answer: Education

"Are you in favor of how Bush handled the war in Iraq?" Answer: Definitely Not

"Do you support the War in Iraq?" Answer: No

"Do you support our soldiers in Iraq?" Answer: Yes

Some other questions regarding political issues that I vaguely remember......

Finally, "What is your Nationality?" Answer: American

She paused for a second and then said, "Uhm...The question actually refers to your race."

"Is that so!" I said, more amazed than amused. "Are we really being regarded as a nation of Hyphenated Nationalities now?" I asked.

She looked at me with puzzled eyes. She couldn't find the right words to say. With that she thanked me and left. In her haste, she forgot to ask my name.

No! I was not offended. I just don't see the relevance of that last question at all. I would understand it if she was connected with the census bureau. I would have even given her my racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, and cultural origin/background.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View my page on Atheist Nexus

Hit Counter

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape