Wednesday, November 17, 2004

I'll be damned!

The Catholic upbringing in me says, I should thank all the blessings that come my way. I was raised a Catholic, educated in a strict Catholic school. There was a time in my life that I could not even forgive myself if I missed mass, Sunday school or my evening prayer. I had to go to confession to get my penance. I've read the bible from cover to cover, I can say the mysteries of the rosary in a snap. At mass, I can even tell you what the priest is going to say even before he opens his mouth.

What happened? I guess I just asked too many questions.

I wonder? If my parents' religion had been Islam or Buddhist or Zen...then what? I didn't choose my religion, it was just there, handed down to me by my parents, as had been with my grandparents.

A friend of mine asked me if I believe in Jesus Christ as the son of God, my reply to her was, "No!" She was aghast! I told her that Christ of Faith is for the Christians and Jesus of History is more a probability.

"You'll be damned to hell!" She said with a straight face.

"Aren't we all?" I retorted.

The conversation did not end there. She tried to understand what, after all these years, made me denounce my faith and religion. To which I said, religion divides men. I'd like to think that I am more of a humanist, that's all.

I hate the subject of religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View my page on Atheist Nexus

Hit Counter

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape